The following information is for Exeter students wishing to get in touch with Nightline to use our listening and information service. Please direct all general enquiries to [email protected] and all queries about training to [email protected]. Due to the non-confidential nature of email, we discourage students wanting to talk about personal issues contacting us via these means. We aim to respond to all emails within 48 hours.
“More and more challenges are facing students in their lives today. Having someone impartial, yet of a similar age and situation, to talk things over with at any hour of the night is an incredibly valuable thing.” – Graham Norton Comedian, TV presenter and former patron of Nightline Association
Sometimes, you just need to get some stuff off your chest.
If you feel like you’d like to chat to a fellow student in an anonymous, confidential space, you don’t need a ‘valid reason’ or a problem that’s ‘big enough’; we’re here for all students, and no problem is too small. So whether you’re feeling a bit down, walking home late from a night out, or just need a safe space to vent – you’re welcome to get in touch with us via the following channels:
- Our number can be found on the back of all Exeter University student cards.
- Our lines are open 8pm-8am, every night during term time. Unless we are dealing with another caller, or in the unfortunate event we are closed, we will always answer the phone! All calls will be charged at a standard network rate.
- What to expect: As we say elsewhere on our website, our student volunteers are not paid professionals. They are, however, empathetic, trained, fellow Exeter students who are there to listen to anything you have to say. We believe all our volunteers will do the best they can to keep you company, help you work through whatever issues you may have, or just be a friendly voice on the other end of the line. Phone conversations are solely between the caller and one volunteer – our calls are never recorded and are not on speaker – so you can feel safe in sharing whatever is on your mind.
- Just click on the button below to open our chat window.
- This service is available for the same hours as our phone lines and we’ll be in touch with you as soon as a volunteer is available. Our instant messenger software is provided by the Nightline Association and completely anonymous.
- What to expect: Our IM service is a basic messaging software, and very simple to use. Please note that unlike calling on the phone, our IM appears on the computer which both volunteers on shift can see; as a result sometimes our messages will be a collaborative effort on behalf of the volunteers available. In the same way as the phone however, the content of your IM conversation will never be saved.
- Our username: exeterstudentnightline
- Skype can be a great method of communication, particularly with our students studying abroad, and we should respond as soon as a volunteer is available.
- What to expect: In order to protect the anonymity of our volunteers, we will be unable to speak with students via video chat, but we can offer a Skype call and Skype chat service. Please note that if you choose to contact us via Skype we will be able to view your Skype profile. However, if you would like to, you could create a fake profile and use this to talk to us to ensure your anonymity. Regardless of whether you choose to do this or use your personal profile, your account information will be kept completely confidential within the service. In the same way as with texting and IM, please also note that Skype messages can be seen on our computer by both volunteers on shift, so messages may be a collaborative effort.
We are always looking to improve the service, and keen to hear feedback from students.
If you would like to provide general feedback about the service, you can do so by getting in touch with our Committee at [email protected]
If you would like to make a formal complaint about the service, our complaints procedure and form can be found here: Complaints Form. Please complete this, then send it to our email account.